Thursday, September 26, 2013

A Bit More Advice for My Thirteen-Year-Old Self

I recently wrote a post which included some advice I would give to my thirteen-year-old self. At the time, I couldn't find any pictures of myself from back then. I have a box full of them, but sadly, I can't find it right now. The other day, a friend of mine posted this glorious picture on Facebook, and I jumped for joy in response to what a treasure it is. It brought me immediately back to a time of lockers and gel pens. Today, I would like to share it with all of you. Maybe it will take you back too.



The five women circled are me and my best friends. Can you spot which one is me? Here's a hint: I'm the one who looks most like Professor Snape.


This is a picture of my 6th grade choir class. That green sequined dress that we are all collectively wearing was our performance attire, and it was 90% of the reason I joined choir in the first place. 

After seeing this picture, there are a couple of additions I would like to make to the letter I wrote to thirteen-year-old Christy. I hope you will oblige me.

Dear Thirteen-Year-Old Christy, 
I'm sorry to take you away from watching TRL, but I have just a few more things to say. I'll be quick.
You know that sequined dress you wear for choir concerts? That one that everyone seems to hate wearing except for you? In 8th grade, you will steal it and it will hang in your closet for many years to come. I still stand by that decision, even though stealing is technically wrong, but damn girl, you look great in that dress. Wear the hell out of that thing. It will come back in vogue, I promise.

Also, Christy, you're doing a good thing surrounding yourself with a bunch of bright, caring, funny girls. Do that always. There will come a time where you start to tell people that you just want to be friends with guys because they don't cause drama. That is garbage. Your fellow girls will always be there to challenge you, uplift you, and hold a mirror to all of your terrible and wonderful decisions. They also give the best advice. Speaking of which, man, Christy, I wish you had access to this video series:

Anyway, girl, I love you. Keep working those sequins and learning that math.
Love,
Future Christy


Because how important are girlfriends, y'all?!


--------------------------------------Sponsor Spotlight-----------------------------------------

Meet Jessica Albers!


Website -- Shop -- Facebook -- Twitter -- Instagram
By the way, how cute is that picture of her and her little man? Anyway, Jessica is a woman who does something that, in a million years, I could never learn to do. She uses calligraphy and hand-lettering to create amazing print matierals, and guys, it's actually unbelievable. Go check out her website to see what I'm really talking about, but here's a taste:


I mean, are you kidding me? How gorgeous is that? She did that with her hands? How is any of this possible?!

The good news is she has a shop where you can purchase all kinds of incredible pieces. Right now, she's got some custom gift tags for the upcoming holiday season. You could seriously win Christmas with these:


Also, if you're just falling in love right now, and you happen to live in Texas near College Station, you can get some tips from the expert herself. She's holding a calligraphy workshop on November 5 & 6, so sign up, and tell me how it goes!


No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts