Tuesday, January 28, 2014

Pretty Pants

Allow me to introduce you to Kim over at the fantastically-named blog, Pretty Pants! She's answering some questions today about her fabulous self & her adventures in blogging. You're definitely going to want to stick around because this girl is about to make you smile (spoiler alert: she has a SUPER cute daughter).


1. I positively love the name Pretty Pants! Can you give some insight into why you picked it as well as what propelled you to start blogging in the first place?

I stole the name. About 10 years ago when AIM was still cool, one of my friends had the screen name Pretty Pants. He wore a nice pair of slacks to school and someone called him "Pretty Pants" to make fun of it so he took that and made it his screen name. I decided to start and online women's clothing boutique last year and I was racking my brain for an original name and for some reason I remembered Pretty Pants and it stuck. Since I was using the name for that I decided it would be a good name for my blog too. I probably owe my friend some percentage of my earnings from the boutique; I doubt he'll take women's clothing and accessories for a pay off.

As far as why I started blogging, that goes back 10 years too. I used to blog on Xanga. I was a very angsty teen and needed an outlet. I'm no longer an angsty teen but I do find that I still need an outlet. My own little corner of the internet. Since I moved to Texas a year ago I've been toying with the idea of blogging again since I had moved to a town where I didn't know anyone and because I read them all the time. Then when my husband went overseas for two months I was bored so I decided to just go for it. My blog is mainly just pictures of things I want to buy and pictures of things I have bought but every once in a while I'll have a bad day and it's kind of my place to complain about it. I don't usually get too deep or too personal just as a preference but there is just something about writing that allows you to express yourself in a way that nothing else compares.

2. You're from Mississippi originally, but now you live in Texas (my home state!). What are some things you love about each of these places you've called home?

First off, I am in love with Texas. I have lived here for a year and I absolutely love it. I love the food (except for TexMex- I'm weird, I know). I love the people! I'm from the hospitality state but Texas has some of the nicest people I've ever met. I love that it is 80 degrees in the middle of winter. There is so much to do here (I live in Houston). There is always a concert, sporting event, comedy show, or festival going on. Texas has so many awesome cities too: Houston, Austin, Dallas, and San Antonio and they are all just a few hours away from each other.

As for Mississippi, I love that there is NEVER traffic! I don't think I really knew what traffic was until I moved to Houston, TX. In Mississippi you can drive an hour and be halfway across the state but in Texas you can drive an hour and be halfway across town. We didn't have enough people for traffic in Mississippi. I love the simplicity of life there. It really is a beautiful state, there is so much of it that hasn't been developed and it's really nice. There are really no big cities in Mississippi so most of the time you end up growing up in a town where everybody knows everybody (and most people are related).

3. What/who inspires you?

Other women in general inspire me. Whether it be someone I'm friends with, a coworker, a family member, a celebrity, or another blogger. There are so many women that are making a difference. There are so many women that are starting businesses, breaking that glass ceiling, or being the best mom they can be.



4. What are two recent posts from your blog that you particularly enjoy?

I wrote a post about "All the things you never wanted to know about me" that is just random things about myself accompanied with a pretty great throwback picture of me and my brother. Spoiler alert: He's wearing a coon skinned cap.

I also wrote a post about Benefit Brow Bar. That post has gotten the most traffic. I wrote it because I have never really liked my eyebrows until I started going to the brow bar and now I love them. So I wanted to share in case someone else was having trouble finding someone good to shape their brows. 

5. Where do you see yourself in five years?

I have high expectations for myself. I'm really putting everything into my online boutique and betting on myself. I've invested a lot of time and money and for it to be successful I know I will have to dedicate more time and money. Currently I work as a recruiter but in five years I see myself solely doing the online boutique.

As far as my personal life goes, I'm still undecided if I want to have another kid. I kind of think we hit the jackpot with Kate and I don't know if we could get this lucky again. She is hands down the coolest kid you'll meet. She's a hot mess half the time (please see the picture that accompanies this post for proof) but then again she is my kid and I would expect nothing less. On the other hand, I love having a brother so I don't want to deprive her of having a sibling and at the rate my brother is going she won't have cousins until she's in high school. But either way, I think I'll be happy.

Comments have been disabled for this post. Say hi to Kim here

Popular Posts