Saturday, January 10, 2015

Mrs. Robbins Sparkles | Q&A

First off, thanks so much to everyone who completed my reader survey! It gave me a great picture of everyone who reads this blog (for instance, I now know that I can drop all illusions that I have any male readers...because I basically do not. Whatever, I don't need those cooties, anyway.) Be on the lookout for some hip happenings on Avoiding Atrophy in the near future which will be very much influenced by the helpful feedback you provided.

But for now, I'm psyched to introduce you to Jennifer, the wonderful voice behind the blog, Mrs. Robbins Sparkles (we're all in love with that name, right?). Jennifer and I had the opportunity to chat recently for a consultation, and it was just an absolute delight. She's brilliant, creative, and just flat out lovely, and her blog reflects that in major ways. Today, she's here to give some A's to my Q's, so read on and then head over to her blog to say hello!

1. What is the story behind Mrs Robbins Sparkles? How did you get your start in the blogging world?


I came up with the name Mrs Robbins Sparkles after a friend texted me that my new name (I got married last year) made her think of Robin Sparkles a la How I Met Your Mother. And with that text​ Mrs Robbins Sparkles was born. I literally bought the domain name the same afternoon! Mrs Robbins Sparkles has been around since May, but I’ve actually been blogging since 2009. My old blog was much more personal, more like a Xanga page than a blog that people should actually read.​ I decided to completely start over with Mrs Robbins Sparkles and I'm really glad I did. Sometimes we all need a fresh start!​

2. One of the reasons I love your blog is that I get a real sense of your love for pop culture. What are some of your favorite books/tv shows/movies right now?


I do love pop culture, but I think the real reason behind that is my love of a good story. I love getting sucked into a whole other universe and getting to know characters. That’s what makes television more fun for me than movies (with the exception of series like Harry Potter). With movies you get such a small view into that fictional world. With television you get hours and hours to fall for the story and the characters. I think that’s what makes binge watching so appealing. As a college freshman I basically lived and breathed Friends; my roommate and I owned all ten seasons on DVD and it played on a loop in our dorm room. By the end of the year it felt like we were part of the Friends gang! (So really we were binge watching before binge watching was cool.) I have some shows I watch that are currently on the air (Chicago Fire, How to Get Away with Murder, Scandal,Criminal Minds, Modern Family to name a few) but I also like to pick a show and binge watch it all the way through. Right now I’m rewatching Doctor Who, but I’m also working my way through Veronica Mars and House. When I’m not watching television I’m reading or listening to podcasts. I always have several books in progress. I have one or two audiobooks on my iPhone to listen to on commutes (right now it’s the fourth book of the Outlander series and All the Light We Cannot See), I have a couple on my Kindle (Astonish Me and The Life-Changing Magic of Tidying Up) and I’m also in the middle of the Truth About Style in actual physical book form. As for podcasts, I was obsessed with Serial (it’s all about the story), but I’m also devoted to Gilmore Guys, The Lively Show, History Chicks, Stuff You Missed in History Class, After the Jump, and Stuff Mom Never Told You. (If you’re wondering how in the world I listen to everything, keep in mind it takes me over an hour to drive to and from work every day.) So yeah, I guess I do love pop culture!

3. When you aren't blogging, what hobbies might we find you pursuing?


Obviously I spend lots of time reading and watching television! I don't know if I'd say I had a specific hobby, I go through phases. I did rock climbing for awhile. I've tried yoga, knitting, painting...I guess you could say my hobby is trying new things! But most of the time you can find me hanging out with my husband and our awesome pets, Winchester the puppy and Coco the cat.


4. If you had to pick two recent posts that truly represent the Mrs Robbins Sparkles spirit, which posts would you choose and why?


Hmm, this is tough because I feel like I’m still trying to find my feet on the blog. Perhaps the very first post would be a good place to start? But one of the most popular posts so far is this one on the DIY bed frame my husband and I did. (One of my favorite DIY projects ever!)

5. What/who inspires you (in life, or as a blogger, or both)?


As far as blogging goes, I’m inspired by several bloggers. Elsie and Emma over at A Beautiful Mess, Laura Tremaine of Hollywood Housewife, Anne Bogel of Modern Mrs Darcy, and of course you Miss Christy of Avoiding Atrophy. In life I’m inspired by so many wonderful people. My parents have always been an inspiration, but I also look up to people like Madeleine L’Engle, Audrey Hepburn, JK Rowling, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Tina Fey, and Amy Poehler. Which is a pretty random group of people when you think about it, but I stand by my choices!

Comments have been disabled, but be sure to say hey to Jennifer HERE!

Also, if you'd like to sponsor Avoiding Atrophy, head over to my ad shop! Enter code: IMAGENIUS to get 20% off!

Popular Posts