Friday, June 14, 2013

My iTunes Diary: Songs With Which I Get Down

I am a person who would rather let someone read my personal diary than look at the songs in my iTunes library. This is largely because I don't tend to my music collection as often as I do my diary, but it's also because I have songs like Domino by Jessie J and Toxic by Britney Spears (both are songs I am now publicly endorsing, but it's not my proudest moment by a long shot).

But seriously, how good is this song? 
There is this cultural assumption that you can tell a lot about a person by what is in their music library. I would hold that that's largely untrue for me because I am more of a Pandora person. What I have on my iTunes is only what I need to get me through a subway ride (since there is still not consistent WiFi down there...I seriously don't understand). If you tried to determine who I was based on my phone's music, you would probably think I was a fifty-five-year-old mom/youth group leader who majored in Art and minored in Beyoncé Studies.

My music personality assessment is inconclusive, but in the interest of full disclosure, I've decided to share some of the songs that get me jazzed anytime they come on. When I shuffle my songs, I tend to do a lot of skipping, but these are the ones that lately, depending on my mood, make me stop and appreciate my day (this list is incredibly subject to change). I'll also let you know how and when you should listen to these songs as well as their proper drink-pairings (this last part is for pretty much no reason).




Warning: This is a hella random list and Beyoncé is very well-represented in it. Also, a lot of these songs might already exist in your music library. I don't super care. 

Love on Top - Beyoncé



The reason that I get down with this song: I can sing the first chorus pretty well, but it's still a stretch. The second that first key change rolls in, I'm out, and then there are like 90 more key changes after that, and each one sounds amazing. This woman, you guys, she just gets it. 
When and where to listen to this song: When you are super vibing on your man or when you are in the mood to be impressed but not terrified, you should probably crank up some Love on Top. This is a good car song, but it is not a good subway song because you will be doing little gestures whenever she's like, "Baby, baby, it's you!" 
What drink pairs well with this song? Champagne! Or something with grapefruit. 

Gold - Once: The Musical



The reason that I get down with this song: Daniel got us tickets for Once: The Musical for our one-year-anniversary. I was captivated, to say the least. It's one of those musicals that has a profound impact on everyone who sees it, but this lesser-celebrated song is seriously one of my favorites. I love the line, "If a door be closed, then a row of homes start building." I also just love the total Irishness of this song.
When and where you should listen to this song: I recommend listening to Gold on your commute when you are in an absolutely terrible mood. It makes you feel like Heaven is near and people are good and all of that stuff.
What drink pairs well with this song? Irish whiskey, obviously. 


It Ain't Me, Babe - Johnny Cash with June Carter Cash



The reason that I get down with this song: In a world where I didn't find my husband at the age of fifteen, I think I would have had some relationships with weird endings. It's that absence of experience in my life that makes me love breakup songs. This is a weird one in that Johnny's like...um I am going to be a really shitty and selfish boyfriend, so you should probably go. I like the honesty, and I like the tight harmonies.
When and where you should listen to this song: This is a great driving song, so pump up the jams, especially if you're into harmonizing. I also recommend delaying listening to this song until you are in a particularly self-centered mood. 
What drink pairs well with this song? A really, really cold Shiner Bock.

Instead of a Show - Jon Foreman



The reason that I get down with this song: I could write a lot about Jon Foreman, and I probably will one day, but basically I think he is brilliant. This song in particular seems to come on my shuffle at the exact moment I need it. It's based off Bible passages in Isaiah and Amos, and it calls out Christians on a lot of our showmanship bullshit. It's not going to make you cry, but it might make you reevaluate a lot of your motivations in life.
When and where to listen to this song: Listen to this song if you feel yourself becoming false or holier-than-thou. You should probably listen to this one alone in your room since it's probably the least grace-filled song you'll hear lately.
What drink pairs well with this song? A lukewarm Shiner Bock. 

In My Life - Judy Collins (originally by The Beatles)



The reason that I get down with this song: I am an extremely sentimental and nostalgic person. For someone who has called quite a few places "home" across the country, this song tugs at my heartstrings. I almost always start crying the second I hear, "In my life, I've loved them all."
When and where you should listen to this song: Not in the car. Your tears will interfere with your driving. Listen to this song when you are homesick and you want to feel even worse about your life or at a middle school graduation or something.
What drink pairs well with this song? White wine with ice cubes.

Countdown - Beyoncé



The reason that I get down with this song: I saved this song for last, but Countdown is first and foremost on my life's list of songs. Like, seriously, no joking here. This song is IT. That moment where she is like, "Ladies, if you love your man, show him you the fliest" or when she's like, "Damn I think I love that boy/Do anything for that boy" ...PSSSSHHH. It's just so good. 
When and where to listen to this song: At all times, if you can. I seriously cannot think of an occasion where this song is not appropriate, and that includes trips to the bank, funerals, and prison stays. Keep in mind that you will need ample dancing space. 
What drink pairs well with this song? ALL THE DRINKS. Or no drinks. Just listen to it and never stop!


I hope these tunes help get you pumped for your weekend! If you don't mind, I'd love to know what you're listening to. Maybe I could even make some new additions to my currently very short playlist.

5 comments:

  1. "...a fifty-five-year-old mom/youth group leader who majored in Art and minored in Beyoncé Studies."

    Beautiful. I truly enjoy your blog, Christy. Thanks for being consistently hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love an eclectic, totally random mix of tunes. This is great. Also, I'm more than a little ashamed to admit it, but I love Toxic. I always sing along at the top of my lungs.

    *hangs head in shame*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No shame at all! Toxic is a solid tune. I love the bridge where she's like "aaaah, aaah, aaah, aaaah, aaaaah"

      Delete
  3. I have to say that since this post I have become a big Beyonce fan. I love Countdown now. But I wanted to show this off: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZSGzeDUL0ic
    This is my alma mater and I wish I had been at the game instead of living here in Idaho. How great is the Michigan Marching Band?! (Not to mention our kickass football team!)

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts