Wednesday, January 29, 2014

5 Things You Likely Don't Know About Me

A bit of news before the fun starts (but don't worry, it's fun news, so I guess the fun is already starting): There are just two days left of my January Sponsor sale! Why does this matter to you? Well, if you've been reading the blog lately, you may have seen some new Q&A posts (like this one with Tracey or this one with Kim) as well as some sponsor spotlights (like this one I wrote about Julia). Well, yours could be next! Head on over to my Advertising & Sponsor page, read the testimonials, browse through my ad options, and use the code "SWEETDEAL" to get 50% off at checkout! Oh, and then come back and read this post. 

One of my favorite reader-compliments I ever receive is when someone posts a comment along the lines of "I feel like, in real life, we would totally be friends!" I love it because A) this is real life, which totally makes us friends and B) a comment like that means that at least someone out there is picking up what I'm putting down. It's all any blogger (any artist, really) wants -- to feel like they're known, to feel like someone gets it.

So for today, whether you consider this blogging platform to be real life or not, consider yourself one of my friends. Got that? Great.

Friend, because we're friends and all, I wanted to share even more about my life with you than you already know. I mean, I divulge a lot of my life on this blog, but there are definitely some things that I've either not had a reason to share or have kept purposefully hidden. I know, I know. That's shady. Sorry about that, friend.

But anyway, I wanted to share these things just in case they might be deal breakers for you. This is a pretty vulnerable position for me to put myself in, but I just feel weird with you not knowing this stuff. Here are five things you likely do not know about me:

1. I am into the show, Survivor, in a pretty big way.



Did you even know this show was still running? Most people don't, but I super do. Here's just how into it I am: I've never missed a season, I know what happens if there is a tie at tribal council (everyone votes again except for the two people in question. If it's still a tie, everyone draws rocks), I know which former contestants I would likely be similar to if I were to play (Tyson Apostol and Sandra Diaz-Twine), I've met two former contestants that I flagged down on the streets of New York, and of course, the piece de resistance -- I am in a fantasy survivor league. Watching Survivor was always a tradition in my family, and yes, I would love to try out one day. Wait, am I already sharing too much?

2. I drink at least one soda a day.

Via

It used to be Diet Dr. Pepper, but I'm trying to not consume as many sugar substitutes. Now it's Coke. At least one. Every day.

3. As a child, I had an imaginary friend named Doo Doo.


Via

He was based off of a stuffed toy dog that my grandmother had given me who was also named Doo Doo (the dog, not my grandmother), though I saw him more as a stuffed version of the real thing. Imaginary Doo Doo was visible only to me. He was an Irish Water Spaniel, and he was kind of mean to me, but at the end of the day, he had nothing better to do, so we'd hang out. My older sister once hid under my bed, and with a voice that sounded like it belonged to a Long Island chain-smoker, she said, "Hey kid, it's me. Doo Doo" and I genuinely, I repeat, I GENUINELY believed that the voice belonged to my imaginary friend. I stayed in this conversation for seriously about ten minutes before my sister ran out from under the bed in a fit of giggles.

4. When I was a kid, I used to watch anime...with subtitles.

Via

This is one I've really tried to keep under wraps, and that's probably unfair. I just didn't want people to envision me wearing purple wigs to conventions or trading Pokemon cards on the black market. But the truth is, I really liked some anime series when I was growing up. My sister and I would watch these shows in their original japanese with yellow, badly-translated subtitles at the bottom of the screen. Most shows I've ever loved in life feature really strong female characters, and I've got to say, japanese animation kinds of knows what's up in that department.

5. I don't really understand the rules of football, and I likely never will.


Via

Now, don't you look at me like that! It could be worse. At least I know how the electoral college works.


So anyway, are we still friends? In all seriousness, I feel like this list exposes way more of my inner nerd than even I am comfortable with (especially #4...and #1...and the rest of them, honestly), but hey, we've all got stuff like this. Right? God, I hope so. Tell me yours!

7 comments:

  1. Hahah. I try to understand football and it's just complicated.. I've come a long way though..! I did a similar post to this one.. http://www.verosays.com/2014/01/5-beauty-things-i-not-apologizing-for.html?m=1 I think it's great to share things with our blog buddies.. Love making new friends!

    xoVeronica

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't quite get football! I'm so over that game. I saw your post, and it looks great! I am also shameless about my selfies. I definitely look forward to reading more!

      Delete
  2. Friends in real life!! Yay!! :) Christy, you're the coolest! Also, none of these are deal-breakers ;) and no you're not the only one with stuff like this! I'll have to think up my 5 and post them soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Friends for sure! Very glad that none of my weirdness is a deal breaker. I can't wait to read your list!

      Delete
  3. I don't understand football either, so I watch the other people in the room and try to match their body language and "boo" and "yes!" at the appropriate time so it seems like I totally get it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. omg the imaginary dog cracked me up!!!
    just started reading but your totally awesome in my book!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I watched Sailor Moon growing up. I even went as Sailor Moon for halloween three years ago. It was a pretty fabulous costume!

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts