Wednesday, March 5, 2014

10 Things I Like About Myself: A Link-Up


A while back, I brought you guys a post titled "10 Things I Like About Myself." I wrote it flippantly thinking, hey maybe someone will be able to relate, but I had no idea I would get such an overwhelmingly positive response. So A) Thanks for being wonderful, and B) Because of your kindness, I've decided to turn this whole thing into a linkup. Today! Right now!

If you've not read the original post (here it is for your reference) it is essentially a critique of our culture's perplexing stance on confidence. I wrote it because, to me, there is a real danger when we confuse humility with putting ourselves down, and I think that this happens more often than we even realize. In attempting to steer away from arrogance, we end up bringing a lot of negativity into the world. All at once, we rebuke people for their vanity, yet we still want our sisters and daughters to think of themselves as beautiful. We offer affirmation to our friends, yet we withhold it from ourselves, turning down compliments from others and focusing on our shortcomings instead.

That was my life, anyway. People would say kind things, and I would deny them ("Hey girl, you did a great job!" "No way, I totally botched the whole thing."). This practice became an ugly force in my life. Suddenly all of the crappy things I'd say about myself became the crappy things I believed about myself until one day I just decided to say screw it -- I'd rather be totally full of myself than completely empty.

I believe this is a problem for others besides myself (in fact, I know for certain since so many of you responded with a resounding AMEN after my last post), and I also believe that doing something about it could really positively affect the world around us. Whether you believe your gifts and abilities are God-given (hey, that's what I believe!) or you don't, you're not doing the people around you any favors by diminishing your attributes with your words. In fact, to deny the good, beautiful things about you is to deny the world of them. Yep, I really think that.

But make no mistake, this is still an issue for me. Just the other day someone said they liked my pants and I mimed barfing all over them. What can I say? It's deeply-ingrained. I'm working on it.

So as a way to counteract that little voice in my head that still says that putting myself down is the better option, here are 10 MORE things I like about myself:

1. I'm creative. Look, I just drew this:

I am also apparently very good at drawing enormous feline breasts. You're welcome.
2. I'm honest. To a fault sometimes, sure, but better that than to be afraid of sharing my thoughts.
3. My glasses game is on point. I'm still not convinced that I didn't exit the womb wearing my Warby Parkers.
Frasier is less impressed with my spectacles.
4. I have no problem doing things on my own. Movies, dinners, museums -- I'm a boss when it comes to solo adventures.
5. I make people feel encouraged. I give my friends a lot of praise for the wonderful things I see in them.
6. I own up to my mistakes. When I've wronged someone, I simply cannot wait to say "I'm sorry."
7. I do things that the world would consider brave. Stand-up, improv, moving to New York City -- I'm basically Evel Knievel.
8. My singing voice is really pretty solid. 
9. I'm craftier than I give myself credit for. I've always thought that I wasn't a crafter, but hey, I made all of my Christmas gifts this year, and they were kind of fabulous.
10. I have passions that make the world a better place. I love writing, encouraging women, making art -- these are very good things that I think this planet needs a lot of.

While I know it might be tempting to simply congratulate me on those ten things (thank you, thank you), believe me, that's not what I'm looking for. What I'd love instead is for you to carry this torch. Write down 10 things you like about yourself, link-up with this post, share it (#LikeYourself), and tell your friends to do the same. Let's make this a movement of celebrating the things that make us unique, and then let's use those things to enrich the lives of others.

Feel free to use the picture below and link back to this post! I can't wait to read all of the wonderful things you have to say about yourself.


27 comments:

  1. Thanks for the link-up! I love #4 on your list. Me, too! I went to an event by myself recently and scored a front-row seat because I only needed one. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally! People are so resistant to doing things by themselves, and as you know, it's actually awesome. On my way to read your post now!

      Delete
  2. This is such a great link-up idea and I loved writing my post! :-) Owning up to your own mistakes is such a great quality to have - it's something I definitely need to improve on.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lisa, just read your post and I positively love it! Thrilled that you participated, and thanks for the encouragement!

      Delete
  3. As I've got a blog, but it's rather inactive, I'll put my 10 things here.

    1. I have awesome hair. It can be curly, it can be straight, it is versatile! Yes, my hair is a chameleon.
    2. I can paint my fingernails like a boss! Get my on my level! Looks like a professional manicure, all the time.
    3. Anytime I try something new, I can usually catch the hang of it in a few tries. Except snowboarding. But I hate snowboarding and skiing, so those don't count.
    4. I can pick up languages easily. I'd like to thank my high school Spanish teacher for that. Went to France, having never spoke French, and picked up the language in a day or so. I once learned Welsh because I was bored, and picked up Latin by reading my friend's textbook.
    5. I like that I can be creative and technical.
    6. I am not very tactical when I speak sometimes, but I like that about myself, that I don't try to sugarcoat things, and can speak plainly.
    7. People have called me brave, and I like to think I am, but really, I am scared to death most of the time, but manage to do brave ridiculous things anyway.
    8. I sound exactly like my mother. And because she is awesome, I love that about myself. I try to channel her hardcore spirit when I am running after things that scare me.
    9. 'Satisfaction is not in my nature.' -Loki... I am competitive! And I dig it.
    10. Reading is akin to breathing for me, I've always been able to read incredibly quickly and comprehend.

    That being said, I am super encouraged by all you awesome ladies celebrating yourselves!

    So as not to be completely self-centered in this comment, here is something I like about Christy:
    I appreciate that she gives me her time and energy, while she is an introvert. I know it wears her out, but I am always refreshed by our time! Thanks, girl. :)

    -jess

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jess! Reading this brightened my day in ways you could never full understand. I can vouch for so many of these for you (though, I would LOVE to hear you speak Welsh. Let's make it happen soon.) and I am so very thankful to have all of these qualities in such a beautiful friend.

      As for my friend, Jess...I love her strength of conviction, passion for people, and unwavering loyalty. She's pretty great.

      Delete
  4. "I'd rather be totally full of myself than completely empty."

    Well put. This was such a good idea for a link-up. It's a good way to boost your confidence and see yourself in a positive light.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kim, I was so happy to see your picture pop up on the linkup, and I'm so glad you had a positive experience writing it!

      Delete
  5. What an inspiring idea! I have read (and loved) every single one of these and I just linked up!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've always considered myself a maverick when it comes to making up lists of 10... would that count?
    -CheapGent

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a great link-up. It got me thinking about myself. I definitely do #5! Thanks for making me start to think of myself in a positive light!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great idea! I have thrown my post into the link-up pot. It was somewhat unsettlingly difficult to complete.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is great! What are the linkup rules? I would like to join in!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This link up is great! All women should do this :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I found this linkup through Erika's post and I LOVE it! This is an awesome movement and I'll be sharing both of your posts, as well as checking out the others. One thing I love about myself is that I can generally find the positive in any situation. It may take a little time if there's an initial shock or challenge, but I always find equilibrium and joy eventually instead of carrying the stress with me forever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is such a fab link up idea! I love it! We should totally celebrate ourselves more!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am so glad I found this link-up through Lisa! I've written my own post with my own spin, and I can't agree with you more about the double-standard of wanting women to be humble but confident. I think we can make the world a much better place by beginning with loving ourselves as we are.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was a challenging one for me (but I love lists, so I had to give it a try). Thank you for making me reflect on my good characteristics rather than laser-focusing on the negative.

    Lisa - newlycastnerd.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Love this! Great finding the little things that make us special! Xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm the same. I always put myself down, even though sometimes I know I'm wrong to do so.

    ReplyDelete
  17. BTW, I love the photo at the top of this post. Such a happy look to it.

    ReplyDelete
  18. what a wonderful link up! :) found you through another blog that was participating in this!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is a fabulous link-up! I am so encouraged by this idea! It looks like the link-up is going to be open for a little bit- so I am definitely planning on joining in on the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thanks for hosting! This was a great idea. I can completely relate to #4, 5, 6! Those totally could have ended up on my list too :) Found you via another blog and decided to link up!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Christy! I found you via The Lady Okie and her 10 Things post. I absolutely love this! I'll be a little late but I'll be participating tomorrow. Thank you for being a positive and honest blogger!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for hosting. I had a lot of fun coming up with my own list. It was an inspiring experience. :)

    -Amy

    ReplyDelete
  23. I bravely went into this, and managed ten things!

    http://comadiary.com/2014/04/05/tell-me-will-we/#comment-239

    ReplyDelete

Popular Posts